[XeTeX] Polyglossia installation

Shrisha Rao shrao at nyx.net
Tue Dec 15 11:22:22 CET 2009

El dic 13, 2009, a las 5:42 a.m., Maxim Cournoyer escribió:

> It seems my system tex-live base install is too much outdated for polyglossia. Now with "xelatex polyglossia.dtx" command, it processes a bit farther then stumbles on :
>
> (/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/etoolbox/etoolbox.sty)
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> l.97 \newXeTeXintercharclass
>                             \xpg at normalclass
>
> The etoolbox package was installed using my distribution packages, too.
> My tex-live installation is version 2007, from Ubuntu 9.10 repositories.
>
> Should I try to upgrade? What is the best route if I choose so?

In my experience, it has always been a mess to have a later TeX Live co-exist with Ubuntu's outdated version.  In spite of adjusting paths and other settings, something or the other tends to go wrong at an awkward time as some incorrect file is referenced by some program or script.  It is safer, in my opinion, to just use the Synaptic Package Manager to completely remove Ubuntu's TeX Live (all packages), and install TeX Live 2009 from the DVD.  One can then cleanly use TeX Live's own update manager as needed.

Regards,

Shrisha Rao