[XeTeX] TeXLive update issues

Gareth Hughes garzohugo at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 00:40:51 CET 2009

I thought it was about time I updated from my Ubuntu-repository version
of TeXLive 2007 to 2009, as I'm really missing out and use XeLaTeX
regularly. I downloaded the latest ISO image of 2009 and installed it at
/opt/texlive/2009/. Ideally, I want 2009 to be in my texmf-local tree
with the repository remaining as texmf-main as the fallback. I've tried
playing around with the path variables, editing ~/.bashrc and
/etc/profile, but kpathsea seems lost. With XeLaTeX, I get:

This is XeTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.2-0.9995.2 (TeX Live 2009)

kpathsea: Running mktexfmt xelatex.fmt
fmtutil: config file `fmtutil.cnf' not found.
I can't find the format file `xelatex.fmt'!

I'm sure I've just overlooked something here, and misdirected the whole
setup. It looks like my suggestion of a guide for updating would be more
useful than I thought!

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Gareth.