[XeTeX] Unicode Watch character -> \VarClock

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sun Dec 13 11:33:00 CET 2009

Am 12.12.2009 um 15:28 schrieb Nicolas Girard:

> Using the following document, I'm experiencing two independant issues:
> 1. \DeclareUTFcharacter seems to do nothing

Yes, it seems so...

> 2. \VarClock doesn't appear

Because you haven't supplied a font with a glyph for that character!
(The default Latin Modern fonts do not have it, and XeTeX *never* uses
METAFONT fonts.)

The ifsym package comes with special (METAFONT) fonts which are used
to create the PK bitmap versions in order to use these symbols.

Unicode fonts containing U+231A WATCH are:

	Apple Symbols (pixels!)
	Caslon
	Code2000 (rather big)
	Free Serif
	Monospace
	STIXGeneral
	Sun-ExtA
	Unicode Symbols (quite ancient look, no À)

--
Greetings

   Pete

Think of XML as Lisp for COBOL programmers.
				- Tony-A (some guy on /.)