[XeTeX] Polyglossia installation

Maxim Cournoyer maxim.cournoyer at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 01:12:24 CET 2009

It seems my system tex-live base install is too much outdated for
polyglossia. Now with "xelatex polyglossia.dtx" command, it processes a
bit farther then stumbles on :

(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/etoolbox/etoolbox.sty)
! Undefined control sequence.
l.97 \newXeTeXintercharclass
                            \xpg at normalclass

The etoolbox package was installed using my distribution packages, too.
My tex-live installation is version 2007, from Ubuntu 9.10 repositories.

Should I try to upgrade? What is the best route if I choose so?

Thank you.