[XeTeX] Status of babel and polyglossia in xelatex

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Wed Dec 9 14:28:56 CET 2009

Am Wed, 09 Dec 2009 05:00:41 -0800 schrieb Michiel Kamermans:

>> Yes, there too. But also in some special cases when symbols are
>> involved which are not in unicode (e.g. chess symbols).
>> But don't forget that unicode is an encoding too! So even if you
>> type only simple text there is at least one font encoding involved
>> (fontspec uses the name EU1 in this case).

> On a technical note, chess symbols are in the Miscellaneous Symbols
> block, on codepoints U+2654 through U+265F, and have been there since at
> least Unicode 3.2 =)

Only a few (the figurines), the symbols for boards are missing and
most of the commentary symbols ("informator" symbols) too.

This means that unicode is rather useless for chess. I don't know
any chess font which actually use this code points. In general the
symbols are on the positions of normal chars like K and Q.

--
Ulrike Fischer