[XeTeX] Mysterious nonzero lastskip

Vadim Radionov vadim.radionov at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 22:24:30 CET 2009

Ross, Jonathan,
Thank you for the hint to fix the problem and the explanation of what
happens.

Ross, your guess was right: I add small amount of glue around dash, but i
have to check if the dash occurs in the beginning of a paragraph or right
after display formula, that's why this lastskip check.  Actually, I also
shrink a little the em-dash according to russian typography:

\def—{\relax\ifdim\lastskip>0pt\unskip\nobreak\hskip.2em plus.1em
minus.05em\fi
     \scalebox{.75}[1]\dash\hskip.2em plus.1em minus.05em\ignorespaces}

May be I'd better do it making use of \XeTeXinterchartoks, but I cannot
write a simple code without switchig  \XeTeXinterchartokenstate off here and
there
as long as I set non-empty \XeTeXinterchartoks 255 \cyrdash for the starting
dash.

Vadim