[XeTeX] loading font

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 28 18:06:24 CEST 2009

On 25 Aug 2009, at 01:56, M. Niedermair wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i load a font with
>
> \setromanfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Linux Libertine O}
>
> Which fontparameter (fontname, familyname, weight, ...)  decides,
> which font is loaded for bold (\textbf), italic (\textit), slanted
> (\textsl), bold italic (\textbf{\textit), bold slanted
> (\textbf{\textit)?

Assuming you have a whole collection of fonts with the family name
"Linux Libertine O", the weight should be used to choose suitable
faces for regular and bold, and if I recall correctly, the slant value
is used to identify the italic/slanted variants. I don't think
fontspec currently makes a distinction between \textit and \textsl
(check with Will about this if necessary).

The automatic family setup is primarily intended for simple families
with the 4 "standard" faces (regular, bold, italic, bold-italic),
though it will generally do something reasonable for larger families.
If the family has more than two weights, xetex will try to choose
appropriate faces for "regular" and "bold" based on the weight
property, but you may wish to override them (check the fontspec
documentation for details) if you want precise control of the faces
used.