[XeTeX] bidi and hyperref and color in XeTeX

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 8 13:46:57 CEST 2009

Hi Vafa,

It's not forgotten, but it's also not something that can be trivially
added as it stands, and I have quite limited time to spend on it at
the moment. To improve the chances of getting this done, there are a
couple of things you could do....

(1) Taking the \halign issue first, as I understand it, you'd like a
version of the primitive that orders its columns from right to left
instead of left to right, correct? That seems reasonable to me, and
I'd be willing to add such a primitive. I wouldn't call it \semihalign
(I assume the prefix is meant to imply "Semitic", but I don't think
it's a good name for a XeTeX primitive); I'd probably go with
something like \RLhalign.

The code you attached looks OK as far as it goes, but it is definitely
not complete; for example, the first two changes reference modules
@<insert |begin_R_code|...@> and @<insert matching |end_R_code|...@>,
but these are nowhere to be seen. There must be additional definitions
and code fragments that go elsewhere (also code to add the new
primitive, print it, etc). And it also looks like it might have some
dependency on other "Persian TeX" features (what's "Rtlang"?) which
need to be eliminated if it's to apply to XeTeX.

If you can come up with a patch that includes all the changes needed
for an \RLhalign primitive, separate from any other features, and
applies cleanly to the xetex code, then I'll certainly try it out, and
assuming no problems show up, I'd be happy to include this. (Compare
the recently-added primitives implemented in xetex-latex3.ch, for
example.) If I have to figure out the missing fragments and how to
integrate them, it will take some unknown amount of time.... sorry,
but that's the reality.

(2) Regarding \beginspecial and \endspecial, I'm trying to understand
exactly how these would work. The idea is that \beginspecial takes
both the "starting" and "ending" code; then during line-breaking (or
hbox packaging?), \special nodes are added at the beginning and end of
the lines so that the effect applies to the correct section of the
text. I can see how that would work for simple uses of color in bidi,
for example.

What about the effect of unboxing and re-line-breaking, though?
Suppose I have a paragraph that includes a \beginspecial...\endspecial
pair, and I set this paragraph with a large \hsize so it all occurs on
one line. Then later I unbox it and re-set the text with a smaller
\hsize; will the specials still do the right thing?

I would experiment with this, do some tracing of the node lists, etc.,
but again, the code is not complete and usable; if you can provide an
actual patch that implements these primitives, separate from any other
features (what's cur_speech? that sounds like a Persian TeX-ism), then
it will be a lot easier for me to evaluate.

(An aside: Fundamentally, I don't think specials are the best way to
do text color, because of the difficulty of making them behave
correctly in the presence of page-breaks, insertions, and similar
complications. Treating color as a font attribute, as xetex does with
the extended \font primitive, is a much simpler and more robust
approach. But I realize this is currently limited in several ways: in
particular, not available for TFM fonts, and limited to RGB colors.
Perhaps the best solution, though, would be to enhance that mechanism.)

JK