[XeTeX] Class not complete?

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 7 00:28:44 CEST 2009

On 6 Aug 2009, at 22:52, Annie_Olsen at sil.org wrote:

> xetex-bounces at tug.org wrote on 08/04/2009 03:47:32 PM:
>

> > It looks to me like there should be a closing brace at the end of
> that
> > line, to end the \class (i.e., a second brace, in addition to the
> one
> > ending the last \N{...}).
> >
> > JK
>
> Hi, Jonathan!
>
> The missing brace was added, but didn't solve the problem. I've
> tried a number of other approaches, and simplified the .tex document
> down to just a few things. Here's the most recent trial:
> \class L
> {\char{0061},b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l,m,n,o,p,q,r,s,t,u,v,w,x,y,z}
>
> but it seems to settle down to this result, snipped from a much,much
> longer output of mistly the same thing:
> This is XeTeXk, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.996 (Web2C 7.5.6)
>  %&-line parsing enabled.
> entering extended mode
> (./Rom Basic Portrait Georgia.tex
> (c:/TeXLive2007/../texmf-local/tex/font-tests.tex) [1] [2]
> ! Missing number, treated as zero.
> <to be read again>
>                    {
> \member-L-1 ->\char {
>                      0061}
> @...r-#1-\csname clsindex-#1\endcsname \endcsname
>                                                   \fi
....etc

Well, it's a long time since I looked at those macros, but it appears
that you can't use \char{...} within a \class definition. Actually,
that wouldn't be the appropriate way to use \char anyway; it would be
\char97 or \char"61 to print an 'a'. (No braces.) But I suspect the
\class definition probably only accepts literal characters. (What
error did you get with the \N{...} entries once you had added the
missing brace? It wouldn't have been the same as what you've shown
here.)