[XeTeX] Coordinating fonts in text and math mode: question from a new user

Andrew Moschou andmos at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 02:09:36 CEST 2009

If you use my mathspec package, I think you'll be able to achieve what you
are looking for:

\documentclass{article}

\usepackage{mathspec}

\setprimaryfont[Numbers={OldStyle,Proportional}]{Hoefler Text}
\setmathsfont[Set=Greek,Lowercase=Regular]{GFS Porson}

\begin{document}

Text here in Hoefler Text. And some mathematics in Hoefler/Porson:
\[ 123 abc \Alpha\Beta\Gamma μνξ \omicron\pi\rho\]

\end{document}

Note that you can use both control sequences and literal Greek characters in
the maths (and the entire alphabet is defined).

I don't think the package is included in TeX Live/MacTeX, and needs to be
downloaded separately. You can use the package manager to do this, which
will also update everything else that you have.

It is exceptionally unusual to write existential and universal quantifiers
with serifs (in fact I've never seen it done). It is certialy possible to
take A and E from any ordinary text font and transform them for this
purpose, but I would recommend using a sans serif font like Helvetica. The
same can be done with iota. Give it some time so that I (or another faster
person) can work out the appropriate definitions for these.

Feel free to ask if you want further help and good luck!

Regards,
Andrew