[XeTeX] Res: small caps not searcheable

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue Aug 4 21:15:53 CEST 2009

Am 04.08.2009 um 18:44 schrieb Jonathan Kew:

> Oh, a thought: maybe that only works as yet with TrueType-flavored
> fonts, not CFF. But I don't remember for sure.
>
>> What's curious (for an ignoramus like me) is that Flavio's example
>> of using simply \textit{Th} --- which is a ligature --- produces
>> the warning:
>>
>>> ** WARNING ** Unable to read OpenType/TrueType Unicode cmap table.
>>> ** WARNING ** Failed to load ToUnicode CMap for font
>>> "GaramondPremrPro-It"
>>
>> But if I make it \textit{The}, there's no warning. In either case,
>> the ligature isn't searchable in any viewer here (Skim, TeXShop's,
>> Preview.app, Adobe Reader v. 8.1.2).
>
> Very curious. Offhand, I have no idea why that happens.

I have not the most up-to-date version of Linux Libertine OTF, but it
is CFF internally. The Th ligature in the Italic, and only that,
variant is obviously mapped to something faulty. GNU Emacs tells me
it's U+E018 while it's "usually" U+E049. It's a bug in the Italic
font file. And it's a bug in all font file that the "Th" can't be
searched.

And yes, the small caps "fbi" cannot be found because it's in the
PUA. It's the same with the CFF based Minion Pro inside Adobe Reader 9.

I think we really need a good and bad fonts open data base. Just to
help saving some bucks, making the correct decision, provoking some
progress.

I made these tests with TL'09.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Computers are good at following instructions, but not at reading your
mind.
	- D. E. Knuth, The TeXbook, Addison-Wesley 1984, 1986, 1996, p. 9