[XeTeX] Res: Res: small caps not searcheable

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 4 18:35:51 CEST 2009

On 4 Aug 2009, at 17:05, Flavio Costa wrote:

> "Asking users to search using the 'faulty' PUA values is not a
> realistic option--that why we need OT/AAT features.  For that reason
> I wouldn't start messing with cmaps, which are not for the faint of
> heart."
>
> Indeed, searching for PUA values may serve as a workaround in very
> specific situations, but it's obviously not suitable as a general
> solution.
>
> David, if cmaps are not a recommended solution, is there any other
> alternative way of fixing this problem without having to pay Adobe
> $200 just to get searchable small caps?

You could try complaining that it's a bug in the font you bought, and
ask for a bug-fix. (I wouldn't care to bet on the chance of success,
though!)

If that doesn't work, you could use a tool such as ttx to remove the
PUA encoding of the small-caps glyphs. I'm not sure offhand what
Adobe's license says, but if they decline to fix the font so as to
make it usable for you, ISTM you'd be justified in fixing it yourself
(purely for your own use, of course). Of course, IANAL and all that,
so don't rely on anything I say.... :)