[XeTeX] A typography question

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Mon Aug 3 18:20:54 CEST 2009

Well in fact the classic Oxford University Press combination of Imprint and
Porson Greek was always produced with the Greek slightly below the ex-height
of the surrounding roman text.  And indeed if you bought Imprint and Porson
from the Monotype Corporation (as I did), then e.g. '8-point Porson' was
visibly smaller than '8-point Imprint', so that this aesthetic choice,
rightly or wrongly, had become hard-wired into the type manufacturer's
thinking.  Minion Pro seems to be the flavour of the month, and of course it
does come with the full polytonic Greek set, adequate for most purposes -
though personally I would still opt for Imprint plus Porson for academic
book work (Times plus Porson is also common, e.g. in British Academy
publications).

As to Arabic, I have used the freely available Scheherazade in combination
with Minion Pro, to quite good effect (though I'm not an Arabist so really
just go on my 'feel' for what looks OK on the page).  There one has to make
quite dramatic changes to the point sizes when going in and out of Arabic:
the main text, for example, was 10pt Minion but the Scheherazade Arabic was
13pt.

Best

John