[XeTeX] XeTeX, BibTeX and sorting

François Charette firmicus at ankabut.net
Wed Apr 29 21:19:12 CEST 2009

Joseph Wright a écrit :
> Kosta Welke wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Using utf8 in bib files works just fine. However, sorting is a bit off:
>> Non-Ascii characters are not sorted in a sensible way, i.e. as layed
>> out in http://unicode.org/reports/tr10/
>>
>> An example can be found here:
>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.editors.lyx.general/56241
>>
>> Are there any plans to fix this?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Kosta
>>

> Hello Kosta,
>
> Nothing to do with XeTeX, and UTF8 works "fine" with BibTeX only under
> certain circumstances (basically if BibTeX leaves non-Latin characters
> alone). For biblatex, there is a project called "biber" to produce
> something UTF8 compatbile (amongst other things). I'm not sure anything
> will ever happen with BibTeX itself.

Biber is indeed a BibTeX replacement for biblatex. It is still beta
quality, but development is advancing rapidly. By default, sorting is
done according to the Unicode Collation Algorithm (via the
Unicode::Collate Perl module, which fully implements the UCA). The
homepage is http://biblatex-biber.sourceforge.net (version 0.4.2 should
be released shortly).

If you don't use biblatex but are looking for a Unicode-aware bibtex
replacement, you might want to try pybtex
(http://pybtex.sourceforge.net), though I would be surprised if it
indeed sorts according to the UCA.

Best,

François