[XeTeX] POLYGLOSSIA with Hebrew

François Charette firmicus at ankabut.net
Wed Apr 29 20:53:46 CEST 2009

Apologies. I had overseen this message.

sjo a écrit :
>> Add
>> \renewcommand\theenumi{\alph{enumi}}
>> in your preamble
>>

> Many thanks. That works.
>
> Gareth has pointed out how Hebrew dates and numbers need to be
> changed. Can you point me to the SVN and where in the SVN I can find
> the algorithm? I don't know tex but I may be able to consult with
> those who do know.

I have reproduced the relevant snippet of code in a previous message.
You can view the file gloss-hebrew.ldf in the SVN repo here:
http://scripts.sil.org/svn-view/xetex/TRUNK/texmf/tex/xelatex/polyglossia/gloss-hebrew.ldf?view=markup

> I have two other questions (see file below).
>
> Question 1: \section{\RL{\hfd להשוות אותם כלל}} will create a section
> heading but the number is arabic not hebrew. Is there a similar
> \renewcommand for sections and footnotes? Page numbers? etc. I did not
> see this in the polyglossia manual.

Same thing:
\renewcommand{\the<counter>}{\alph{<counter>}}
where <counter> can be section, footnote, page, etc.

> Question 2: When I use \setdefaultlanguage{hebrew}, I get the error
> below from xelatex.
>
> Thanks for all the help.
>
> ====\setdefaultlanguage{hebrew} error=====
> Package polyglossia Warning: No hyphenation patterns were loaded for `Hebrew'
> (polyglossia)                I will use the patterns loaded for \language=0
> (polyglossia)                instead on input line 7.
>
> )
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> <argument> \@rlmaintrue
>                         \@rl at footnotetrue \let \@@oddfoot \@oddfoot \let \@@.
> l.7 \setdefaultlanguage{hebrew}
>
> ?

Your sample file compiles just fine here. My guess is that your version
of bidi.sty is too old. Latest version on CTAN is 0.4.