[XeTeX] new to xetex: need help w/ typesetting Syriac

Sargon Hasso sargon.hasso at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 05:01:55 CEST 2009

Although I am not new to LaTeX, published my graduate thesis in LaTeX,
but  I just recently stumbled on unicode support via xetex. I downloaded
MikTeX  v. 2.7 (w/ xetex support for windows). So, first things first: I
tried to build the sample Arabic tex file (the closest to Syriac) that
came in the xetex sample documents but failed. Oh, I remember those days
when I had to chase down problems in LaTeX. I also tried to build a
sample file that uses standard ttf/otf directly  and it worked fine.
However, the syriac and arabic text don't seem to be rendered correctly,
i.e. contextual shaping does not seem to be working. I know I am missing
something, but I don't know what. I am attaching a sample pdf so you can
see it. Perhaps, someone can show me a complete, albeit, simple tex file
that has one syriac line and one arabic line that demonstrates
typesetting syriac in xetex.

Regards,
Sargon