[XeTeX] The apprentice's response

Florian Grammel grammel at gmx.net
Sun Apr 19 12:41:30 CEST 2009

Am 18.04.2009 um 04:02 schrieb Wilfred van Rooijen:

> Note that for (very) advanced type setting ConTeXt may be better. It
> more closely approximates a DTP program. I've seen examples of
> ConTeXt where a book was written in some very old Icelandic alphabet
> (fonts made with metafont / metapost, part of any latex distribution),

Most of these solutions that I've had a look at are imho more or less
obsolete today.
As for special latin-based medieval characters in -- and above --
Unicode (and thus in XeTeX) cf the "Medieval Unicode Font Initiative" http://mufi.info/

> but also incorporating folding pages of various sizes, and also
> "critical editions" where a text is being translated and the
> original and translation are set on the left and right page, where
> all the lines have to always correspond. It is really amazing what
> latex can do!

I am working with books like this and I've been using ledmac and LaTeX
for this until now. As this great package is unfortunately
unmaintained since its creator Peter Wilson stepped down about a year
ago, I'd be thankful if you could point me to the ConTeXt examples
you're referring to. (Googling a term like "context" is a quite
frustrating task...)

Best regards,
Florian Grammel

Gentofte, Denmark