[XeTeX] Polyglossia does not exist for Kannada - XeLaTex

Sreenivasa Guttal sreenivasa.guttal at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 08:17:35 CEST 2009

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 12:08 AM, Jonathan Kew <jfkthame at googlemail.com>wrote:

> On 17 Apr 2009, at 18:49, Sreenivasa Guttal wrote:
>
> > If I make defaultlangauge is non-english(kannada or sanskrit) and
> > \setmainfont, the other issues go away.
> > However, I the hyphen character is still not seen. That is the main
> > isssue now.
>
> Have you checked whether it is actually present in the font you're
> using? Have you looked for error/warning messages in the log?

YES. The given font does not seem to support hyphen character.
That is why I tried to redefine defaulthyphenchar, by including it in
english language. (with begin and end english). Somehow, this is not
working.

In summary, How do I get this hyphen character displayed when I given font
does not support it? This should solve my main problem.

> > Another observation. I also see that other special charactrers like
> > `avagraha', `virama'(danda) are not displayed properly.
>
> Again, have you checked that the font you're using supports the
> characters involved?

If I use these character by swithcing to a different language which has
support for these fonts, it does work.
Neverthless, I do not know why such basic characters are not supported by
these fonts.

Thanks for time and suggestions.

Regards,
Sreenivasa