[XeTeX] Floated tables below footnotes

Ulrike Fischer news2 at nililand.de
Wed Oct 29 09:58:10 CET 2008

Am Wed, 29 Oct 2008 14:39:38 +1030 schrieb Will Robertson:

> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 1:12 PM, Mike Maxwell <maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Bizarre that LaTeX should do this (float a table below a footnote) by
>> default.  I've never seen that done in published material.
>
> I *think* it's an oversight, rather than a design decision. I agree
> it's a rather jarring effect.

I'm not sure. Would you put a float before the last line of the text?
Probably not, floats are objects on their own and shouldn't -- if
possible -- disturb the text flow. So why should it go before e.g. a
one-line footnote and separate it from the text? The footnote would look
as if stranded. I would probably try to avoid this question and move the
float to the top of a page.  ;-)

--
Ulrike Fischer