[XeTeX] How does xetex handle non-nativeimagefilessuchas eps?

Ulrike Fischer news2 at nililand.de
Sun Oct 26 16:52:23 CET 2008

Am Sun, 26 Oct 2008 15:35:00 +0000 (UTC) schrieb Yuan Qi:

> Ulrike Fischer <news2 at ...> writes:
>
>> Ah, I understand. No this command can't be used to avoid a bb-file or
>> something like that. The command is inserted in the \special and it an
>> instruction for the driver (xdvidpfmx). It will be executed to late.
>
> Basically, there is no way for xetex to execute a program before compilation and
> the dvipdfmx.cfg image handler setting is only intended for eps files, right?

Yes, there is a way. As I already said you can use \write18 if you have
--shell-escape enabled. The pdftricks package e.g. calls dvips during
the compilation:

 \immediate\write18{dvips -E -o \PDFTfigname.eps \PDFTfigname}

But you will have to write your own commands to do whatever you want,
you can't use \DeclareGraphicsRule.
--
Ulrike Fischer