[XeTeX] How does xetex handle non-native image filessuch as eps?

Yuan Qi xetex.tex.comp.gmane.3.maxchee at spamgourmet.com
Fri Oct 24 21:20:06 CEST 2008

Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa at ...> writes:

> > Yuan Qi was asking about exotic graphic formats
> > which XeTeX doesn't handle natively. (I don't know which formats xetex
> > doesn't handle but I'm quite certain that such formats exist).
>
> All those not mentioned in these two lines (Graphics Convertor could
> give an idea of them):
>
> %    \DeclareGraphicsExtensions{.pdf,.png,.jpeg,.bmp}			% formats
> with xdvipdfmx
> %    \DeclareGraphicsExtensions{.mac,.pict,.psd,.sgi,.tga,.tif,.gif}
> % additionally with xdv2pdf
>
> Why should anyone care of these unsupported formats? They don't work,
> put simply. What, most likely, works is a convertor from these
> formats to one of the supported ones. Well, JPEG2000, TIFF, and GIF
> would be nice ...

First of all, xdv2pdf should support jp2, tif and gif at least in Tiger and later
versions of OS X as these formats are all supported by QuickTime. In addition,
later versions of the PDF standard should support embedding jp2 images.

Personally, I am interested in including SVG images and right now, the only
compliant implementation of the SVG 1.1 recommendation is batik, which
fortunately supports conversion into PDF.