[XeTeX] Polyglossia and Sanskrit

Daniel Stender daniel at danielstender.com
Sun Oct 5 10:29:07 CEST 2008

Yves Codet wrote:

> I wonder if this behaviour of Polyglossia should not be changed.
> Actually Sanskrit has no proper script, or it has many. If Devanagari
> is often preferred nowadays if does not mean that it is *the*
> Sanskrit script. I would be interested to know what members of the
> list think.

I think principally that's right. I don't know what is the case with other scripts than Devanagari, but it could be argued that there are even
differences in hyphentation between Devanagari and transliteration (that means romanized Sanskrit), while Devanagari hyphens Akshara-wise that could
be handled more freely in Romanization: "satyam eva jayate" is possible instead of "satyameva jayate" which results in "sa-tyam e-va ja-ya-te" instead
of "sa-tya-me-va ja-ya-te"

Furthermore I think a separated hyphenation pattern for romanization is needed, for example nobody hyphens "ga-ccha-ti" but "gac-cha-ti", isn't it?

Greetings,
Daniel Stender