[XeTeX] Problem with apacite and fontspec

Morten Høgholm morten.hoegholm at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 11:02:01 CEST 2008

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 3:04 AM, Ross Moore <ross at ics.mq.edu.au> wrote:

Hi all,

> More specifically,  calc.sty  changes the way  \setcounter  works.
> The programming in  apacite.sty  does not take this into account.
> The problem occurs when using \citet and other \cite command variants
> defined by  natbib.sty , since these require significant extra parsing
> beyond what LaTeX would do without  natbib .
>

> Here's a simple fix that seems to work:
>

> \usepackage[tocbib]{apacite}
> %%  ----  RRM  2008/10/03
> %% for compatibility with calc.sty
> %% we need an extra \protect as below before  \setcounter
> %%

Which makes me think that I cannot recall why \setcounter et al. are
not automatically robust. Well, most likely candidate is that it is
documented as fragile in Lamport but I can't see the harm in a little
robustification at this point (most of the kernel is robust now)...
People \protect'ing \setcounter won't note the difference anyway.

In my book all assignment commands ought to be robust when TeX is so
picky about assignments in an expandable context.
--
Morten