[XeTeX] newcommand with optional arguments

Diederick C. Niehorster diederick at niehorster.eu
Sun Nov 30 16:10:39 CET 2008

Sorry for bumping an old post and sorry for being slightly off-topic, but I have a follow-up question regarding the post below.

I have also been trying to find a way to use optional arguments as I wanted to write a \cite in the possessive form for natbib where I would sometimes want to include text between author and year -- and sometimes not ;).
This led me to an old thread started by Sven Siegmund, to which I now reply. Find his final macro at http://xelatex.blogspot.com/2008/03/newcommand-with-optional-argument.html

I have adopted this to the following for my purpose
---
\makeatletter
\long\def\tlist at if@empty at nTF #1{%
  \expandafter\ifx\expandafter\\\detokenize{#1}\\%
    \expandafter\@firstoftwo
  \else
    \expandafter\@secondoftwo
  \fi
}
\providecommand*\citeposs[2][]{%
  \citeauthor{#2}'s %
  \tlist at if@empty at nTF{#1}{}{#1 }% when false, code in third brace gets executed
  \citeyearpar{#2}
}
\makeatother
---

This works great when I include it in the preamble of a tex-file directly. However, I have a .sty which I use to call packages I often use and set defaults the way I like it. Putting the above in my .sty gives me errors during parsing of the .sty.
The first error I get is a bunch of lines later (where line 103 is from my .sty):
-----
! You can't use `\spacefactor' in vertical mode.
\@->\spacefactor
                 \@m {}
l.103 \@
        ifpackageloaded{babel}{}{%
-----

Does somebody know where this seemingly unrelated (to the newly added code) error comes from? And how can I solve it?

Thanks!
Diederick