[XeTeX] encoding radicals in traditional Chinese

Daniel Greenhoe dgreenhoe at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 30 03:19:36 CET 2008

--- On Sat, 11/29/08, Gerrit Sangel <z0idberg at gmx.de> wrote:
> That is because you’re using the list of radicals from
> 2F00..2FD5.
> All radicals exists
> as normal characters in the CJK Unified Ideographs Block.
> If you use the radicals in this Block, every font supports
> them. Take a look
> at this chart http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2F00.pdf,

I like your idea of using the alternative mappings provided by U2F00.pdf.
But when I tried the alternative locations using my defacto Chinese font, the radicals that are not standard characters do not show up.

I tested the first 16 Kangxi radicals using the 2F00-2FDF block and the alternative locations provided by U2F00.pdf. The result is that the radicals that are standard characters (一,乙,二,人,儿,入,八,几) show up; but the radicals that are not characters (2F01, 2F02, 2F03, 2F05, 2F07, 2F0C, 2F0D, 2F0E) do _not_ show up.

Could it be that some font designers just don't bother to include glyphs for radicals that are not characters?

I am attaching a 1 page pdf file that gives more details and results of what I have tried. Maybe someone has some ideas to show me any way I could improve things.

Dan