[XeTeX] encoding radicals in traditional Chinese

Daniel Greenhoe dgreenhoe at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 29 01:01:22 CET 2008

> Do the Chinese fonts that come with Windows not include
> these?

I am using a Chinese version of Windows XP, and apparently the radicals are not included by default because when viewing a page with the radicals, most of them did not show up:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Unicode_chart_Kangxi_Radicals
Here is what they should look like:
  http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2F00.pdf

> If nothing else, you could try James Kass's Code2000,
> which is pretty comprehensive

I did find a list of some fonts that support the Kangxi radicals, and Code2000 was one of them:
  http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/block/kangxi_radicals/fontsupport.htm

In the end I downloaded a font called "WenQuanYi Zen Hei" that supports the Kangxi radicals. It is available from sourceforge at
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=128192&package_id=242056

So now both my Windows Firefox browser and XeLaTeX typeset document seem to be able to render the Kangxi radicals. Thank you very much for all your help!!! I greatly appreciate it.

By the way, thank you also for your work creating XeLaTeX. It is really a very great contribution.

Dan