[XeTeX] Turning Arabic ligature OFF

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Tue Nov 25 09:04:17 CET 2008

On 25 Nov 2008, at 20:41, Heba Soliman wrote:

> Thank you Mr Francois for solving the ligature problem, but there is
> another problem appeared the non-space joiner makes a big space, do
> you
> have any suggestions to fix this problem.

This indicates (I think) that the zero-width joiner character is not
supported in the font you are using, and therefore gets replaced by
the font's ".notdef" glyph, which you are seeing as a large space.

If I'm right about this, it is a deficiency in the font, and I can't
think of a good workaround right now. My suggestion would be to select
a different font.