[XeTeX] various problems with ArabXeTeX

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Tue Nov 25 03:51:21 CET 2008

Hello Ben,

On 25/11/2008, at 1:08 PM, Benjamin Geer wrote:

> 2008/11/24 François Charette <firmicus at ankabut.net>:
>> Note that I wrote *in ArabTeX mode*. But your example is in UTF-8.
>
> Oops, sorry!
>
>> Just set \baselineskip to an appropriate value, for instance
>> \baselineskip=22pt
>
> Thanks, that helps.  But it's surprising to have to do that.  I
> thought the idea of LaTeX was to make everything look beautiful by
> default...

Well, the problem is that  "Scale=1.75"  attribute that you have set
when specifying your font.

Normally the \baselineskip is 12pt for a 10pt font and you
are using ~17.5pt without having adjusted the lineskip.
TeX cannot know, when you specify the font, how the lineskip
should change to accommodate what you want to use it for.

> Ben

Hope this helps,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                       ross at maths.mq.edu.au