[XeTeX] Charis SIL glyph variants

Benct Philip Jonsson bpj at melroch.se
Sat Nov 22 13:30:17 CET 2008

On 2008-11-21 Will Robertson wrote:
 > However, you should be able to write
 >
 >| \newfontfamily\titus[ItalicFont={Titus Cyberbit},
 >|    ItalicFeatures={FakeSlant=0.2}]{Titus Cyberbit}

Thanks. I 'knew' it should be possible some way!

On 2008-11-21 Jonathan Kew wrote:
 > Alternatively, you could make K an active
 > character, and then you wouldn't even need to
 > prefix it with backslash or leave a space after:
 >
 >|    \catcode`\ŋ=\active
 >|    \def ŋ{\your\definition\for\eng\goes\here}

Thanks for the tip. It's tempting but won't do as
I'll have to use ordinary ŋ in IPA transcriptions
in the same text.

On 2008-11-21 Adam Twardoch wrote:
 > Titus Cyberbit is based on Bitstream Cyberbit
 > which is a very extended version of Dutch 801,
 > Bitstream's version of Times Roman. It has as
 > much in common with Charter as a dog has in
 > common with a squirrel. ;)

We have a saying in Swedish about a cat among
weasels. I don't think the powers that be will
notice as long as they get the general glyph shape
they want. Thanks for the info anyway! A free
Times clone with good Unicode Latin, IPA, Greek
and Cyrillic coverage not only in medium roman
would be most welcome in many quarters. be most
welcome in some quarters.

/BP