[XeTeX] How to tell Xetex don't embed some ttf font into pdf

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Wed Nov 19 22:45:45 CET 2008

> PDF is self-contained. Its purpose is to be stand-alone, i.e., not to
> use external resources.

  These answers by you and Martin both miss the poster's point, which is
to use the default Chinese fonts in Adobe Reader.  They are part of
Adobe's "Asian Font Pack" and can be installed on demand from Adobe
Reader (http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/acrrasianfontpack.html);
it is therefore quite reasonable, given the specific requirements of
Chinese and related writing systems, to imagine solutions for users who
have these few fonts on their system.  Note how the Adobe site even
mentions the issue explicitely.

  This question is asked regularily on TeX-related mailing lists; I even
wrote some code for ConTeXt to support not embedding these fonts in
pdfTeX (http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2007/028960.html).

  I'm of course not saying that this feature should be supported at all
cost, but there seems to be legitimate use of it, and genuine user
expectations.

	Arthur