[XeTeX] Charis SIL glyph variants

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Tue Nov 18 12:54:50 CET 2008

On 18 Nov 2008, at 11:42, Will Robertson wrote:

> On 18/11/2008, at 10:03 PM, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure if fontspec has support for specifying the Graphite
>> rendering option.... Will, are you listening?
>
> I am, and I have been :)
> Unfortunately, it does not.
> I really should get around to doing that.
>
> Am I mistaken in believing that Graphite features don't have
> "standard" interfaces? That is, if I want to access small caps, it's
> possible that different fonts might use different feature strings?

Yes - the interface is a lot like that for AAT features, with the font
providing human-friendly names. They also have underlying numeric IDs,
but there's no general "registry" of these, like there is for (some)
AAT features. I presume the feature IDs are consistent across the
various extended-Latin fonts from SIL, for instance, but beyond that I
don't think you can assume anything. It's up to authors to specify the
names that their fonts support.

>>> Do I have to use TeX rather than LaTeX font definition
>>> commands?  I have nothing against it, I just want to know.
>>
>> If fontspec supports the Graphite option, then you could use its
>> RawFeature option to pass the custom feature names to the font (see
>> the fontspec manual).
>
> I'll see what I can do...

Thanks!