[XeTeX] Charis SIL glyph variants

Benct Philip Jonsson bpj at melroch.se
Tue Nov 18 11:03:11 CET 2008

On 2008-11-17 Jonathan Kew wrote:
> %%%%%% test file %%%%%%%
> \font\x="Charis SIL" at 12pt
> \font\y="Charis SIL/GR:Uppercase Eng alternates=Large eng
> on baseline"
> at 12pt
>
> \x This is Charis with the default capital Eng, J.
>
> \y This is Charis with an alternate capital Eng, J.
>
> \end
> %%%%%% end %%%%%%%

Thanks for the help.  I have some follow-up
questions, however.

So I can't get at it through fontspec?
Do I have to use TeX rather than LaTeX font definition
commands?  I have nothing against it, I just want to know.

Perhaps I could do something like

%%% example %%%

\font\alteng="Charis SIL/GR:Uppercase Eng alternates=Large
eng on baseline" at 11pt
\[re]newcommand{\NG}{\alteng\char"014A}

% And then in the document

VƏ\NG HUŠ

%%% end %%%

> Although both capital Eng characters in the source are
> simply U+014A,
> they will render with different glyphs because of the
> optional feature
> applied in the second font definition.
>
> **WARNING**
>
> Unfortunately, it turns out that a bug in xetex 0.999.6
> (and earlier)
> means that it will go into an infinite loop if you try
> this, but if
> you can build 0.999.7 from the source in Subversion (from
> either the
> xetex or texlive repositories), it should work.

So I'll have to compile it myself? :-/

What are the right commands, including those to
download from Subversion?  Mind you I'm originally a
philologist, not a computer scientist, and I just
recently went over to Linux!

/BP 8^)>
  "C'est en vain que nos Josués littéraires crient
  à la langue de s'arrêter; les langues ni le soleil
  ne s'arrêtent plus. Le jour où elles se *fixent*,
  c'est qu'elles meurent."           (Victor Hugo)