[XeTeX] Making Malayalam rendering Proper

Shyam | ശ്യാം കാരനാട്ട് | Karanattu mail at swathanthran.in
Fri Nov 7 17:07:40 CET 2008

Hi
Its a great pleasure to see Xetex supporting Malayalam rendering to a
great extent. But there is some missings.
it seems Xetex is ignoring all zwj and zwnj characters. But these
characters have significant say in malayalam rendering . here ന്‍ is
different from ന് (for eg: അവന് means "for him" and അവന്‍ means "he" the
difference in just zwj and the rendering also changes that xetex didnt
do for me.)

some doubling characters are not rendered correctly while some
does..(eg: ക്ക renders well by xetex..while ട്ട is not.)
Attaching are the tex file, and the genrated pdf.
It also includes an html page and a pdf generated from that html by
printing it with icecat!(malayalam-html.pdf) it renders malayalam very
perfectly as pango supports malayalam!
This issue is hot as we are trying to release the first book on
malayalam about free software and we are so particular that it should be
using only free software. If xetex couldn't do it, we would have to do
it in inkscape!

Thanks
Shyam K