[XeTeX] xelatex math problem with sqrt

Ulrike Fischer news2 at nililand.de
Thu May 29 18:21:51 CEST 2008

Am Thu, 29 May 2008 16:54:45 +0100 schrieb Jonathan Kew:

>> I made some tests. As far as I can see the problem disappear when I
>> set enough trace-options. It doesn't matter what options I set as
>> long as I set enough. So I think there is a timing problem.
>
> That's really strange; I can't imagine how timing could be important.

The bug is triggered by the code $\sqrt{x^1_2}$ (I put some pages before
and I can see that they are typeset without problems).

It is also important that there is a super- and a subscript in one
\sqrt. It works fine if use e.g. \sqrt{x^1}\sqrt{y_2}.

I don't have a problem on another (faster) pc.

The error message is:

Die Anweisung in "<long number" verweist auf Speicher in "<another
number>". Der Vorgang "read" konnte nicht auf dem Speicher durchgeführt
werden.

This sounds as if xetex can not read something.

I tried also some other math packages:
mathptmx, mathpazo, fourier, mnsymbol works fine. euler and cmbright
crash too.

> Perhaps more likely there's some kind of memory allocation/
> overwriting issue, and when you start changing trace options you
> influence how the allocations and access happens.

I tried with various combinations of trace options. It can crash with
everyone, it only stopped when I used enough.

--
Ulrike Fischer