[XeTeX] strange artefacts in itemize environment

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Thu May 29 01:26:30 CEST 2008

Hi Andrew,

On 29/05/2008, at 1:34 AM, Andrew Moschou wrote:

> \def\MyFont{Times New Roman}
> \setmainfont{\MyFont}

This is the clue...

> I get the results that "new roman(0).fd New Roman(0).fd" appears
> before the first bullet as shown in 1.pdf.

This used to happen in the old days before I added a space-stripping
command when storing the actual font name in LaTeX's font family name.
(I don't fully understand where the problem is actually occurring in
itemize, considering that the problem for font selection only
manifests here.)

fontspec isn't expanding its inputs enough, however, so the space-
stripping is trying to remove spaces from "\MyFont" rather than the
*contents* of "\MyFont". This then fixes your problem:
   \expandafter\setmainfont\expandafter{\MyFont}
but Jonathan's suggestion to load xunicode is probably enough anyway.

I'll fix this up next time I'm bug squashing. Thanks for letting me
know!

Cheers,
Will