[XeTeX] Res: Special characters: how to handle cleanly

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Sun May 25 17:37:34 CEST 2008

Flavio Costa wrote:
> Hi, if you choose fontspec package with a typeface that contains Å and μ, part of the text below will appear (remember to save the document in UTF-8).
>
> However, you also want to typeset those characters in math mode, and from my recent experience math support is still not mature in XeTeX, maybe someone else can give you more specific guidance.
>
> Flavio Costa

I'd notice things work out much more cleanly with fontspec loaded.
However, I'm working on stuff for a macro package, where I can't be sure
that xetex users will definitely have fontspec loaded (they probably
should, but that is a different matter).  However, the point remains
that, for example, Å should appear as \AA, which works fine without
fontspec.  Perhaps I'm expecting too much from xetex at the moment,
especially in maths mode.  As a package author, I do my best to think of
as many awkward questions for myself as I can, so that users don't!

Joseph Wright