[XeTeX] Problem building XeTeX on Ubuntu 8.04

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sun May 25 16:39:17 CEST 2008

On 25 May 2008, at 3:07 pm, Mi CHEN wrote:

> Thanks for your reply,
>
> If I got "Segmentation Fault" while compiling, so did "xelatex -no-
> pdf".
>
> I will try gdb tomorrow.

OK, that confirms that xetex itself is crashing, not the output driver.

You might need to rebuild xetex with the -g flag to gcc in order to
get a better backtrace when it crashes; I think you can do this by
setting the XCFLAGS variable to "-g" for the build. This may not get
all the files compiled with -g but it will at least handle some.

Another option is to go to the Work/tex/web2c directory, remove the
XeTeX object files (rm [Xx]*.o), and then re-compile using something
like
   make CC="gcc -g" CXX="g++ -g" xetex
to add the -g option. (Sorry, this is messy, but I think the
makefiles are a bit inconsistent about respecting environment
variables.)