[XeTeX] can not build xetex0.998.3 in linux

VAFA KHALIGHI vafa.khalighi at students.mq.edu.au
Sat May 24 05:12:45 CEST 2008

I downloaded the xetex-0.998.3.tar.gz file from XeTeX website and first put
that on my home folder and then opened a terminal and wrote these commands

vafa at vafa-laptop:~$  tar zxf xetex-0.998.3.tar.gz
vafa at vafa-laptop:~$  cd xetex-0.998.3
vafa at vafa-laptop:~/xetex-0.998.3$ sh build-xetex

But it fails building and this is what I get:

###### BUILDING IN Work
###### CONFIGURING XETEX
### Using paths:
###   PREFIX          = /usr
###   PREFIX realpath = /usr
###   DATADIR         = /usr/share
###   WEB2CDIR        = /usr/share/texmf/web2c
### running TeX Live configure script as:
../configure --prefix=/usr --datadir=/usr/share --with-system-zlib
--with-old-mac-fonts
creating cache ./config.cache
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
create executables.
### configure script appears to have failed
###### BUILDING LIBRARIES AND XETEX
find: warning: you have specified the -maxdepth option after a non-option
argument -type, but options are not positional (-maxdepth affects tests
specified before it as well as those specified after it).  Please specify
options before other arguments.

find: warning: you have specified the -mindepth option after a non-option
argument -type, but options are not positional (-mindepth affects tests
specified before it as well as those specified after it).  Please specify
options before other arguments.

find: Work/libs: No such file or directory
### Static libs to be built:

### Making xetex binary using: 'cd Work/texk/web2c && /usr/bin/make
web2cdir=/usr/share/texmf/web2c xetex'
cd: 149: can't cd to Work/texk/web2c
### failed to build the xetex binary

Does anyone knowwhat I need to do?

Thanks

--
"I hope to die ___ _____
before I *have* to use Microsoft Word.", 0--,| /OOOOOOO\