[XeTeX] Content-Type in XeTeX Digest

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed May 21 20:10:19 CEST 2008

On 21 May 2008, at 6:46 pm, Barry MacKichan wrote:

> This is not a XeTeX question, but a question about the mail for this
> list. I get the XeTeX Digest, and for months (from the time I
> joined) I
> have been seeing lots of question marks, such as in the snippet below.
> It sounds like the rest of you are seeing more. When I change the
> character encoding in my email client to UTF-8 (Thunderbird) it
> makes no
> difference. (FWIW, I can display Korean and Russian spam with no
> problem).
>
> When I look at the complete headers for a XeTeX Digest message, I see:
>
> My understanding is that pipermail at tex.org is setting those
> headers.
>
> My questions: Is anyone else having this problem? Is it my problem
> or is
> it TUG's? Any suggestions?

This sounds to me like a misconfiguration of the mail list or server.
The original message is fine, as you can see in the archives:

   http://tug.org/pipermail/xetex/2008-May/009797.html

but apparently the digest isn't dealing with charsets properly.

I don't know if this is an issue with the individual list's setup
(Ross, are you listening?) or the pipermail server in general (Karl
or someone?).