[XeTeX] [XeLaTeX-MikTeX 2.7] compilation error with french characters

François Charette firmicus at ankabut.net
Tue May 20 22:46:02 CEST 2008

Alain PIERRE a écrit :
> Thanks a lot Arthur. I'll gladly test polyglossia so downloaded the
> corresponding tarball.
> However, unless I missed something, how do you install this and where
> is the user manual ?

Stay tuned for this: the initial upload to CTAN should happen within the
next few weeks and the user manual will be available by then. In the
meanwhile, just put the *.sty and *.ldf files to
$TEXMFLOCAL/tex/xelatex/polyglossia, and have a look at the examples.
Basically (after having loaded fontspec) you do
\usepackage{polyglossia}
\setdefaultlanguage[<options>]{<language>}
\setotherlanguage[<options>]{language}
or (if you don't need to set options and have more than one additional
language):
\setotherlanguages{lang1, lang2, ...}

Alternatively you can now also do
\usepackage[mainlang, otherlang1, otherlang2, ...]{polyglossia}
But note that the default language comes first, contrary to Babel!
(If you think this is a bad feature, please complain!)

The rest of the user-interface is very similar to that of babel.
You can use \selectlanguage[<options>]{<language>}, \foreignlanguage[]{}
and \otherlanguage[]{}
as well as
\text<language>{...}
and
\begin{<language>}
…
\end{<language>}

As Arthur wrote, support for French in polyglossia is similar to
standard Babel, and does not (yet) come close to frenchle frenchpro.
Contributions are welcome however!

Hope it helps,
FC