[XeTeX] xelatex using fontspec package

Karl.Sommer at dpi.vic.gov.au Karl.Sommer at dpi.vic.gov.au
Mon May 19 07:31:40 CEST 2008

Hello

I have been using latex for a few years now and recently have become
acquainted with XeLatex through a MikTeX 2.7 installation running under
Windows XP.

I attempted to use the fontspec package to configure some font features
using colour as outlined in the following example.

\documentclass{article}
  \usepackage{fontspec, xltxtra, xunicode}
  \defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}

 \setmainfont[UprightFeatures={Color=220022,
           SmallCapsFeatures={Color=115511}},
      ItalicFeatures={Color=2244FF,
           SmallCapsFeatures={Color=112299}},
      BoldFeatures={Color=FF4422,
           SmallCapsFeatures={Color=992211}},
      BoldItalicFeatures={Color=888844,
           SmallCapsFeatures={Color=444422}}
            ]{Palatino Linotype}

\usepackage{color,graphicx}

\begin{document}

Upright {\scshape Small Caps}\\
\itshape Italic {\scshape Italic Small Caps}\\
\upshape\bfseries Bold {\scshape Bold Small Caps}\\
\itshape Bold Italic {\scshape Bold Italic Small Caps}
\end{document}

The only font I was able to invoke \scshape successfully was "Palatino
Linotype"  but not in "Times New Roman",   "Garamond" or "Georgia".  Does
that mean I don't have that feature installed for those fonts?  If this is
the case, how would I go about installing the missing features?

Regards
Karl

Dr Karl J Sommer
Department of Primary Industries