[XeTeX] PSTricks tricks...

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Tue May 13 21:36:12 CEST 2008

Dear All

I've mentioned unexplained problems with PSTricks in XeTeX before, but here is a new one which might at least intrigue or amuse even if no solution suggests itself.

I achieve the attached p13.pdf in XeTeX (TeXLive distribution on a Windows XP platform) by \input-ing the attached short PSTricks code desmetlines1.TEX.

And I achieve p.14.pdf by \input-ing desmetlines2.TEX.

But page 14 only works if I suppress the \input of desmetlines1.TeX on page 13.  If I keep the line

\input Desmetlines1.TEX

on page 13 then I get the attached pp13-14.pdf, which, incredibly, ignores the line

\input desmetlines2.TEX

and instead gives me an unwanted repeat of the lines for page 13.

What's more, if I put any PSTricks command on any subsequent page of the file, that command is ignored and instead I get a repeat of the lines generated by desmetlines1.TeX.

So it seems that once I've done some PSTricks stuff at one point in the file, I'm being prevented from doing any PSTricks stuff anywhere else in the file - invoking a PSTricks command simply causes it to remember the lines it drew the first time and reproduce them on the page.

I hope this will be sorted out by the time of the 2008 TeXLive distribution!  But in the meantime if anyone can suggest a command to flush out the driver's memory of its first PSTricks lines, that would be useful.  In this particular case, I've had to do a forced \vfill\eject between the pages because of the need for a large vertical list that can't be split because of the long vertical line.  If there is something I could do before \vfill\eject to flush out this unwanted code and allow me to use PSTricks normally on a subsequent page, that would be ideal (well, not ideal but it would get me out of the fiddle of having to extract a correct version of page 13 and remember to substitute it for the erroneous version of that page (lacking the lines) that I have to create when rerunning XeTeX to create a correct page 14).

Best

John

Dr John Was
13 Harpes Road