[XeTeX] Beginner Devanagari question

Tobi Kellner tobi_kellner at yahoo.com
Mon May 12 21:20:12 CEST 2008

Hello,

I hope you had peaceful and relaxing Pentecost holidays!!

I'm
jumping in at the deep end, starting with LaTex and XeLaTex all at the
same time, for my M.Sc. thesis in Computational Linguistics (on machine
transliteration).

The text will be mostly in English, with a few Hindi, Arabic and Katakana (Japanese) examples sprinkled around.

I enter/copy my Hindi/Arabic/Katakana directly, so I am not interested in Romanized/transliterated input.

I'm trying to create a simple "नमस्ते World" document, i.e. an example for Devanagari and English in the same text.

However, while "नमस्ते" (namaste) renders correctly in every piece of (Unicode-ready) software on my Windows XP system, including my TexMaker editor, the XeLaTex output PDF gets the
s-t ligature wrong - I get a full s, with the halant(??)-line at the
bottom, and a full t (excuse my lack of terminology!).

My XeLaTex code is

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\begin{document}
\newfontinstance{\devfont}{Mangal}
\newenvironment{hindi}{\devfont}{}
\begin{hindi}नमस्ते   \end{hindi} World!
\end{document}

I would be extremely grateful if anyone could tell me what I'm doing wrong!

Thank you so much for your help, it comes at a crucial time...
Greetings from Bavaria,

Tobi

Tobi Kellner <Tobi_Kellner at yahoo.com>
web: www.tobias-kellner.de