[XeTeX] xelatex.fmt missing

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu May 8 00:15:27 CEST 2008

On 7 May 2008, at 10:55 pm, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 08.05.2008 um 08:07 schrieb Arno Trautmann:
>
>> Where could I find a hint, how to fix the problem?
>

> It should be in the TeX Live documentation.
>
> Probably you first need to enable the XeTeX and XeLaTeX formats.

No, the formats are obviously enabled already; the error is happening
during creation of the xelatex format, which wouldn't ever be
attempted if it weren't enabled in fmtutil.cnf.

The errors shown:

> (/opt/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/generic/xu-hyphen/xu-glhyph.tex
> (/opt/texlive/texmf/tex/generic/hyphen/glhyph.tex
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> l.19 \catcode`\ﻱ1 \lccode`\@\
>                                      catcode`\绱1 \lccode`\缠\牜
> catcode`
> \�...
>
> ?
> ! Emergency stop.

look very much like there's a text encoding problem with the Galician
hyphenation file. My guess is that the Arch Linux package has been
updated with a newer glhyph.tex than originally shipped with TL2007,
but the "wrapper" file xu-glhyph.tex that loads it as Unicode for
xelatex has not been updated to match. That would be a packaging
error by the maintainers of that distribution, I guess.

Arno, to confirm whether this is the real problem, please show us the
output of the two commands:

     head /opt/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/generic/xu-hyphen/xu-glhyph.tex
     head /opt/texlive/texmf/tex/generic/hyphen/glhyph.tex

This will show the first few lines of each of these files, so we can
see from the dates and versions whether they are the correct ones.

A workaround would be to disable the Galician language by commenting
out the entry in language.dat, or via the "hyphenation" option in
texconfig (or another configuration tool, if the Arch package is
different from plain TeXLive). However, it would be good to check
what's actually wrong, and report it to the package maintainers.