[XeTeX] Res: Res: Minion Pro and Japanese text

Wilfred van Rooijen wvanrooijen at yahoo.com
Sun May 4 16:19:45 CEST 2008

For future reference:

Adobe Acrobat Reader comes with two Japanese-capable
fonts, IF one downloads the 'Japanese language pack'
from the Adobe site. It contains two fonts:

Kozuka Mincho Pro-VI
Kozuka Gothic Pro-VI

On a linux box, these fonts are not by default
installed into the system-wide font directories. The
easiest option is to copy the OTF files from

/opt/Adobe/Reader8/Resource/CIDFont

to the

$HOME/.fonts

directory, then run 'fc-cache -rv'. From then on,
running 'fc-list' will list all system-wide fonts
available, and fontspec will be able to find your
Kozuka fonts.

As alternatives, there are a lot of free(ish) fonts
for Japanese:

- Bitstream Cyberbit, see
http://http.netscape.com.edgesuite.net/pub/communicator/extras/fonts/windows/

- Sazanami Fonts, see
http://osdn.dl.sourceforge.jp/efont/10087/
Sazanami is usually the recommended font for
'standard' layouts, the 'Times New Roman' of Japanese.

- OpenOffice comes standard with several Chinese fonts
(Arphic fonts, the 'AR' prefixed fonts). These fonts
provide charachters for most kanji used in Japanese
but  beware that Your Mileage May Vary, especially for
variant characters (the characters for 'china' and
'university' are different in Japanese and Chinese,
with Japanese using the Japanese-only character
variants)

- There are also free URW, IPA, and other fonts for
Japanese. I found a bunch by just surfing the web and
almost all of them work flawlessly in XeLaTeX +
fontspec.

- For exotic uses: the code2000 font includes glyphs
for almost everything defined in Unicode (including
weird things).

Wilfred