[XeTeX] XeTeX and diacritics

Arash Zeini azeini at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 24 14:54:45 CET 2008

Hello,

I am very new to XeTeX and apologise in case my question is repetitive. I did look at the archives but did not find a solution to my question.

I intend to use XeTeX to typeset a critical edition. This work includes transliteration characters for Pahlavi and Avestan. While using XeTeX has cleared my source file to the extent that I can read it, there are still accented characters that need LaTeX commands. This would generally not be a problem if these characters looked similar in the compiled PDF. Specifically I need a "p" with a bar on top, an underlined capital "P", underlined "H h" and few other characters with double diacritics.
Gentium does a good job representing most of the characters, but fails when it comes to double diacritics. Right now I use the Basic and Book Basic versions to cover these items.
But the problem that remains is Gentium's missing bold weights and the underlined characters or the ones with a top bar, since these representations, when generated with LaTeX commands, differ significantly from the ones included in Gentium such as an underlined "Z z" for example. Gentium uses a small line that is centred while LaTeX commands underline the entire width of the character.

Is there a way out of this situation? I use Debian's newest XeTeX with KDE.

Thanks and regards,
Arash