[XeTeX] emacs and xetex

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Mar 21 20:49:58 CET 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 17:33 +0100, François Patte wrote:
> Up to now, my Emacs config shows me small rectangles for every
> devanagari character for instance. So, I have a two (or three) step
> work to typeset a multiscript document: all latex commands and french
> text with emacs, then, I switch to yudit, and fill all unicode text
> which I cannot key in in Emacs....

On Ubuntu Linux, there is a version of GNU Emacs available that does
Unicode/XFT fonts.  For versions of Ubuntu prior to Hardy, this is
available as an addon---http://peadrop.com/blog/2007/01/06/pretty-emacs/
has more information on how to get this going.

In Ubuntu's forthcoming Hardy release, the emacs-snapshot package will
have support for system fonts by default.  This way, you can use Unicode
fonts, with the added bonus of them being antialiased on the screen.
The only problem I have had thus far is entering certain accented
characters, though this problem goes back quite a ways for me.
Essentially, when I enter é or è or another accented letter on the
keyboard, GNU Emacs seems to treat it as the beginning of a
command---for example, éee becomes 饥, which is rather confusing to me.
It should wind up being "éee", not whatever it turns into...

	--- Mike

Michael B. Trausch                                   mike at trausch.us
home: 404-592-5746, 1                                 www.trausch.us
cell: 678-522-7934                       im: mike at trausch.us, jabber