[XeTeX] Polyglossia and Sanskrit

François Charette firmicus at ankabut.net
Thu Mar 20 10:56:33 CET 2008

Yves Codet a écrit :
> Hello.
>
> I have a question about Sanskrit. The following preamble gives the
> expected result:
>
> \documentclass[a4paper,12pt]{article}
> \usepackage{polyglossia}
> \usepackage{fontspec}
> \setdefaultlanguage{french}
> \setotherlanguage{sanskrit}
> \setmainfont{Charis SIL}
> \newfontfamily\sanskritfont[Script=Devanagari]{Sanskrit 2003}
> \newcommand{\skt}[1]{{\begin{sanskrit}#1\end{sanskrit}}}
> %\newcommand{\skt}[1]{\localsanskrit{#1}}
>
> But if I use the commented out command instead of the preceding one
> Charis is used for Sanskrit and of course nothing appears in the
> ouput. Is this command wrong?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Yves

Until now the \local<lang> commands (which I have renamed \text<lang>,
but \local<lang> still works) influenced hyphenation only, but your
message reminds me that it should also activate the appropriate font (if
defined).  I have just commited a modified polyglossia.sty on the svn
server (also attached to this message). Now your example should work as
you expect. In general though, \text<lang> should be used for short
insertions of texts. For whole paragraphs, use the corresponding
environment.

Regards,
François