[XeTeX] xdv2pdf (was Re: embolden bugs)

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Mar 17 23:58:26 CET 2008

On 17 Mar 2008, at 8:15 pm, William Adams wrote:

> On Mar 17, 2008, at 9:29 AM, Will Robertson wrote:
>
>> Back to an earlier note: how well supported is xdv2pdf going to be
>> in the future? Are we kind of hoping to roll everything into
>> xdvipdfmx?
>

> Well, unless it's possible to encapsulate all of Apple's graphics
> filetype support, or do it better in xdvipdfmx, I'd hope that xdv2pdf
> would be maintained for those of us who have to place .tif files &c.

It'd be nice to have full support for all the graphics formats, etc.,
in xdvipdfmx, but realistically, I don't expect that any time soon.

In the meantime, I have no plan to abandon xdv2pdf -- but I also
don't expect it to see much further development, except possibly
minor updates where needed to remain usable (such as supporting the
embolden feature). Note that Apple's changing font support may end up
breaking it one day anyway -- we already (since Tiger) have those
irritating console messages about improper fonts whenever it needs to
use an old .pfb font (like CM, etc).

Could you consider converting your .tif files to .png or .jpg (with
high-quality settings) somewhere along the line? You'd have to do
that to use them with pdftex, too, wouldn't you? (IIRC)