[XeTeX] polyglossia, babel and French hyphenation

Cyril Niklaus cyril.niklaus at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 03:24:17 CET 2008

Hello all,

I'm a bit frustrated by the lack of hyphenation for French, or (more
likely!) by my lack of ability to get it working.
I've tried using babel to no avail (it gives me lots of Overfull box
instead of simply hyphenating the word) so I got  the svn version,
compiled it fine thanks to the provided scripts and then tried
polyglossia, since M. Charette is a Francophone.
I've also tried a showhyphens test, but it worked, and the document
from which this sentence is taken from compiles with only one
overfullbox if I change the encoding to latin1 and use LaTeX, instead
of a dozen with XeLaTeX.

What wrong with this document that it will not hyphenate the "comme",
both with babel and polyglossia?

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%!TEX TS-program = xelatex-xdvipdf
%!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode

\documentclass[12pt]{book}

\usepackage{fontspec, xltxtra, xunicode}
\defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
%\usepackage{polyglossia}
%\setdefaultlanguage{french}
\usepackage[francais]{babel}

\setromanfont[Numbers=OldStyle]{Garamond Premier Pro}
\lccode"2019="0027

\usepackage[margin=5cm, includeheadfoot]{geometry}
\geometry{a4paper, centering}
\setlength{\parindent}{0cm}

\begin{document}
\title{Le Petit Prince}
\author{Antoine de Saint-Exupéry}
\date{}
\hyphenation{com-me} % makes no difference
«~J'ai vu une maison de cent mille francs.~» Alors elles s'écrient:
«~Comme c'est joli!~»
\end{document}